Definition of ransom theory
: a patristic theory of the atonement: on the cross Christ gave his finite soul as a ransom to the devil for the souls of sinful humanity over which he had acquired rights by the fall; hell could not hold a soul without sin; and in the resurrection divine love triumphed once and for all over sin and death — compare satisfaction theory
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game