Definition of ransom theory
: a patristic theory of the atonement: on the cross Christ gave his finite soul as a ransom to the devil for the souls of sinful humanity over which he had acquired rights by the fall; hell could not hold a soul without sin; and in the resurrection divine love triumphed once and for all over sin and death — compare satisfaction theory
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/22/19
- Is 'Positively' Positively Legal?
- The True Story of 'Realize' and 'Realise'
- Out to Sea with 'Wave' and 'Waive'
Ask the Editors
- Name that Food Quiz Take the quiz
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game