raise the roofidiom
Definition of raise the roof
: to make a lot of noise by playing music, celebrating, shouting, etc. The crowd raised the roof when the winning goal was scored. His mother raised the roof when he came home late.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game