plural radar detectors
Definition of radar detector
1 : a device designed to alert the operator of a vehicle when it has been targeted by a radar beam (as from a police officer's radar gun) After fastening a radar detector to the windshield, he slaloms through traffic at illegal speeds for the seven-mile trip to Chrysler's Styling Dome …— Alex Taylor III He chuckled about the radar detector in his big station wagon … saying he never drove faster than 60 anyway.— Stephan Wilkinson
2 : radar gun The officer's radar detector recorded the vehicle speed between 55 and 60 mph, with the speed reaching 70 mph at one point on the 55 mph-limit roadway.— Robin Baumgarn
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game