\ ˈärlə̇s, ˈȧl-\
Definition of r-less
of a dialect of English
: having with varying regularity as the speech counterpart of a prepausal or preconsonantal orthographic r the sound \ə\ or greater duration or nothing at all instead of the retroflex sound of some dialects
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game