pyr·a·lis | \ ˈpirələ̇s\
Definition of pyralis
1 plural pyralides, obsolete : a fly fabled as born from or living in fire
2 [ New Latin, from Latin ]
a capitalized : the type genus of the family Pyralidae — see meal moth
b plural pyralises\ -lə̇sə̇z\ or pyralides\ pə̇ˈraləˌdēz , pīˈr-\ : any moth of the genus Pyralis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game