put out to pastureidiom
Definition of put out to pasture
1 : to bring animals to a large area of land to feed on the grass there put the sheep out to pasture
2 : to force (someone) to leave a job because of old age I'm not ready to be put out to pasture yet. —sometimes used of things I put my old computer out to pasture.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?