put in an appearanceidiom
Definition of put in an appearance
: to go to an event, gathering, etc., usually for a short period of time I won't be able to stay at the party long, but I'll at least try to put in an appearance.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game