put backphrasal verb
Definition of put back
1 : to return (something) to the place where it belongs Remember to put the vacuum cleaner back in the closet after you've used it. The books had been put back neatly on the shelf.
2 British : to change (a planned event) to start at a later date or time They put back the game until next week.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game