put backphrasal verb
put back; putting back; puts back
Definition of put back
1 : to return (something) to the place where it belongs Remember to put the vacuum cleaner back in the closet after you've used it. The books had been put back neatly on the shelf.
2 British : to change (a planned event) to start at a later date or time They put back the game until next week.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game