put asidephrasal verb
put aside; putting aside; puts aside
Definition of put aside
1 : to save or keep (something, such as money) to be used at a later time She's been putting aside some money for a vacation. Can you put a few minutes aside for a short meeting?
2 : to stop worrying or thinking about (something) We need to put these problems aside for now and get the work done. It's time to put aside our differences and start working together.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game