put a lid onidiom
Definition of put a lid on
1 : to stop (something) from growing or becoming worse These changes are intended to put a lid on rising medical costs.
2 informal : to stop doing or saying (something) He angrily told them to put a lid on their complaints. I'm tired of listening to your complaints, so just put a lid on it!
3 : to cause the end or failure of (something) The government used the army to put a lid on the rebellion.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game