put (someone) up tophrasal verb
put (someone) up to; putting (someone) up to; puts (someone) up to
Definition of put (someone) up to
: to convince (someone) to do (something stupid or foolish) His friends put him up to (playing) the prank.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game