put (something) behind (oneself)phrasal verb
put (something) behind (oneself); putting (something) behind (oneself); puts (something) behind (oneself)
Definition of put (something) behind (oneself)
: to stop worrying about or being upset by (something that happened in the past) It was a disappointing loss, but we need to put it behind us and focus on winning the next game.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game