put (someone) in a pigeonholeidiom
Definition of put (someone) in a pigeonhole
: to unfairly think of or describe (someone or something) as belonging to a particular group, having only a particular skill, etc. He's a talented actor who doesn't want to be put in a pigeonhole.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game