put (an animal) off the/someone's scentidiom
Definition of put (an animal) off the/someone's scent
: to cause (an animal) to lose the smell of an animal or person it has been following by sensing the animal's or person's smell We swam across the stream in order to put the dog off our scent. —often used figuratively He was being investigated by federal officials but he somehow managed to put them off the/his scent.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game