Definition of purple grackle
: a variety (Quiscalus quiscula stonei) of the common grackle that is found mainly in the coastal eastern U.S. and is distinguished by the variable, mainly purplish or bluish iridescence of the plumage I love to see a lone blackbird, like a purple grackle, in all his iridescent glory on my feeder, but if my backyard is covered in them, I'm glad when they move along. — Arlene Neal, The News-Topic (Lenoir, North Carolina), 30 Jan. 2013 “Purple” grackles and “bronzed” grackles trend toward those iridescent hues and formerly were considered two separate species. The purple form is found mostly along the Atlantic Coast, and the bronzed in the interior U.S. — Joe Prentice, The Daily Camera (Boulder, Colorado), 12 Oct. 2007 also : florida grackle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game