pull atphrasal verb
pulled at; pulling at; pulls at
Definition of pull at
1 : to hold onto and pull (something) repeatedly When she gets nervous, she pulls at her ear.
2 : to breathe in the smoke from (a cigarette, pipe, etc.) He rocked back and forth, pulling at his pipe.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game