Definition of published
1 : produced or released for distribution in a book, magazine, newspaper, etc. citing a variety of published sources The ghostwriter will write the article … and send it along to the physician, who may make some changes or simply sign it as written and submit it to a journal, usually scrubbed of any mention of the ghostwriter . … David says he rarely even sees the published articles he writes.— Carl Elliott
2 : having one's work published a published poet/novelist … a couple of published authors promised to introduce her to their agents.— Hal Lancaster In his three decades as a published writer, Andre Dubus produced a baker's dozen of books, mainly collections of short stories.— John B. Breslin
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?