pseu·do·generic name | \ "+...-\
Definition of pseudogeneric name
: a designation used in the manner of a generic name but without taxonomic validity to group organisms too imperfectly known to permit valid classification Sparganum, Tornaria, Cysticercus are pseudogeneric names — compare form genus
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game