pseu·do·branch | \ ˈsüdōˌbraŋk\
variants: or pseudobranchia \ ˌ⸗⸗ˈbraŋkēə \ or pseudobranchium \ -ēəm \
plural pseudobranchs\ -ks \ or pseudobranchiae\ -kēˌē \ or pseudobranchia\ -kēə \
Definition of pseudobranch
: an accessory or spurious gill (as on the inner surface of the operculum in various fishes) that is usually small and is sometimes completely hidden beneath the epithelium
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game