pro·pio·nitrile | \ ¦prōpēō+\
Definition of propionitrile
: a toxic volatile liquid nitrile C2H5CN that yields propionic acid and ammonia on hydrolysis and is used chiefly as a solvent
— called also ethyl cyanide
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?