pretend to (something)idiom
Definition of pretend to (something)
: to claim that one has (something, such as a quality or ability) She pretends to a deep religious devotion, but I don't believe her. —usually used in negative statements I don't pretend to any expertise in these matters.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game