variants: or pre-modern
Definition of premodern
1 : of, relating to, originating in, or being an era before a modern one premodern societies/beliefs the pre-modern world in premodern times … still living in huts and using pre-modern agricultural methods 150 years after the invention of the steam engine.— Jo Ann Skousen
2 or pre-Modern : of, relating to, characterized by, or being any of the artistic and literary practices and philosophies that preceded those of modernism — see modernism sense 3 pre-Modern architecture a pre-Modern artist/writer … following pre-modern conventions of pictorial composition, the artist combines several distinct vignettes within a single picture frame …— Benjamin Schmidt
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game