variants: or pre-industrial
Definition of preindustrial
1 : not having developed or adopted industry : not industrialized preindustrial agrarian societies preindustrial civilization
2 : occurring, existing, or originating before the development or adoption of industry in preindustrial times preindustrial levels of carbon dioxide preindustrial artifacts still made using preindustrial methods also : resembling that of preindustrial times a return to a preindustrial way of life
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game