variants: or pre-fire
Definition of prefire
: existing or occurring before a fire prefire building conditions pre-fire evacuation planning prefire London [=London before the Great Fire of London in 1666] The forest, with the exception of some very old and large trees, will regenerate quickly—although it could take as long as 300 years before the worst-burnt areas return to their prefire majesty.— M. Rogers and L. Wright
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game