variants: or pre-fire
Definition of prefire
: existing or occurring before a fire prefire building conditions pre-fire evacuation planning prefire London [=London before the Great Fire of London in 1666] The forest, with the exception of some very old and large trees, will regenerate quickly—although it could take as long as 300 years before the worst-burnt areas return to their prefire majesty.— M. Rogers and L. Wright
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game