pre·adamite | \ prē+\
Definition of preadamite
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : an inhabitant of the earth before Adam
2 : one who holds that men existed before Adam specifically : a follower of the doctrine of Isaac La Peyrère that only the Jews are descendants of Adam and that the Gentiles descend from men who lived before Adam
pre·adamite | \ (ˈ)prē+\
variants: or less commonly preadamic \ ¦prē+ \ or preadamitical \ (¦)prē¦adə¦mitə̇kəl \
Definition of preadamite (Entry 2 of 2)
: existing before Adam : of a time prior to that of Adam
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game