pound outphrasal verb
pounded out; pounding out; pounds out
Definition of pound out
1 : to make or produce (something) quickly especially by pounding (such as on a keyboard) Every week he pounds out another column for the newspaper.
2 : to play (a song, melody, etc.) loudly on a musical instrument especially by pounding (such as on a piano) The band's lead singer was pounding out a tune on the piano.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game