pound outphrasal verb
pounded out; pounding out; pounds out
Definition of pound out
1 : to make or produce (something) quickly especially by pounding (such as on a keyboard) Every week he pounds out another column for the newspaper.
2 : to play (a song, melody, etc.) loudly on a musical instrument especially by pounding (such as on a piano) The band's lead singer was pounding out a tune on the piano.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game