Definition of potassium oxalate
: any of three crystalline oxalates of potassium:
a : the normal efflorescent soluble salt K2C2O4.H2O used chiefly in preventing the clotting of blood (as in blood tests) and formerly in photography
b : a bitter poisonous acid salt KHC2O4.H2O found especially in oxalis and rhubarb and used chiefly in removing ink stains and scouring metals; potassium hydrogen oxalate
— called also potassium acid oxalate, salt of sorrel
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game