Definition of poor-debtor law
: a law providing relief for debtors usually by affording them time to pay their just debts by installments, or by freeing them from arrest or imprisonment on their delivering all their property not exempt from creditors to a trustee or other public officer for the benefit of the creditors, or on their taking an oath that they have property within the amount exempted from the claims of creditors
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?