pony up

verb
ponied up; ponying up; ponies up

Definition of pony up

transitive verb

: to pay (money) especially in settlement of an account

Keep scrolling for more

Examples of pony up in a Sentence

despite having good credit, the couple still had to pony up a large down payment for the house
Recent Examples on the Web This season, Williams has shown he’s still worth his fat paychecks, meaning plenty of teams would be happy to pony up for the perennial Pro Bowl selection whose preference is to stay in Santa Clara. Eric Branch, SFChronicle.com, "For 49ers’ Trent Williams, eighth Pro Bowl honor the most satisfying," 23 Dec. 2020 Yet all that Congress can pony up is a single $600 check and $300/week for those who qualify for unemployment — and this extra unemployment isn’t even retroactive. Whizy Kim, refinery29.com, "Let Them Eat $600 Cake!," 21 Dec. 2020 How money meant everything and Cleveland was able to pony up $65 million in public funds towards the construction of a museum. Troy L. Smith, cleveland, "Norm N. Nite’s ‘The House That Rock Built’ is the ultimate gift to Cleveland music fans," 10 Dec. 2020 So when the Grand Hyatt misses its debt payments, the city has to pony up with tax revenue collected from visitors. Greg Jefferson, ExpressNews.com, "Jefferson: ‘Major announcement’ about revival of San Antonio’s tourism sector doesn’t live up to the hype.," 4 Dec. 2020 And if Senate Republicans—who are uneasy with going above $1 trillion—don't pony up more, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi might not be on board. Anne Sraders, Fortune, "Stimulus update: How the election will shape the next aid package," 3 Nov. 2020 Wealthy individuals would pay roughly 40% of that tax increase, while businesses, especially corporations, would pony up the remaining 60%, the report states. Jay Heflin, Washington Examiner, "Trump dodges five times when asked to detail promised middle class tax cuts," 15 Oct. 2020 That may help to convince reluctant lawmakers to pony up the $28 billion needed to make the missions happen. Tim Fernholz, Quartz, "Why NASA is backing a cosmic cosmetics ad," 1 Oct. 2020 Maybe pony up more money for night classes for your staff. Fortune, "Corporate America, here’s the secret to a better bottom line," 2 Oct. 2020

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'pony up.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of pony up

1824, in the meaning defined at transitive sense

History and Etymology for pony up

origin unknown

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about pony up

Time Traveler for pony up

Time Traveler

The first known use of pony up was in 1824

See more words from the same year

Statistics for pony up

Last Updated

9 Jan 2021

Cite this Entry

“Pony up.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pony%20up. Accessed 16 Jan. 2021.

More from Merriam-Webster on pony up

Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for pony up

Comments on pony up

What made you want to look up pony up? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

WORD OF THE DAY

Test Your Vocabulary

Words of Snow and Ice Quiz

  • image1037863653
  • Which of the following refers to thin, bending ice, or to the act of running over such ice?
True or False

Test your knowledge - and maybe learn something along the way.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Typeshift

Anagram puzzles meet word search.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!