pom·pier | \ in sense 1 ¦pämpē¦ā, (ˈ)pämp¦yā, in sense 2 (ˈ)päm¦pi(ə)r or like sense 1\
Definition of pompier
1 : tritely or insipidly academic pompier art : marked by pretentious and stereotypical themes or treatment a pompier stage setting
2 [ French, fireman ] : of or relating to the personal equipment of a fire-fighting crew pompier hatchet
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game