plural pompano or pompanos
Definition of pompano
1 : a carangid food fish (Trachinotus carolinus) of the western Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico broadly : any of several related fishes
2 : a small bluish or greenish butterfish (Peprilus simillimus) of the Pacific coast of North America
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game