poly·cross | \ ˈpälē, -lə̇+ˌ-\
Definition of polycross
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a cross in which the female parent is known but the male may belong to any of several available strains and which is used in the production of new lines of some economic plants (as alfalfa)
Definition of polycross (Entry 2 of 2)
: produced by a polycross polycross seed : producing polycrosses polycross nursery
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game