point tophrasal verb
pointed to; pointing to; points to
Definition of point to
1 : to direct attention to (someone or something) by moving one's finger or an object held in one's hand in a particular direction She pointed to me and asked me to stand up.
2 : to mention or refer to (something) as a way of supporting an argument or claim The prosecution is unable to point to anything that proves its case. I can point to several past accomplishments that show that I can perform the job well.
3 : to show that something is true or probably true All the evidence points to him as the murderer. Her symptoms point to diabetes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game