point tophrasal verb
pointed to; pointing to; points to
Definition of point to
1 : to direct attention to (someone or something) by moving one's finger or an object held in one's hand in a particular direction She pointed to me and asked me to stand up.
2 : to mention or refer to (something) as a way of supporting an argument or claim The prosecution is unable to point to anything that proves its case. I can point to several past accomplishments that show that I can perform the job well.
3 : to show that something is true or probably true All the evidence points to him as the murderer. Her symptoms point to diabetes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game