point outphrasal verb
pointed out; pointing out; points out
Definition of point out
1 : to direct someone's attention to (someone or something) by pointing He pointed his girlfriend out(to me) in the crowd. Could you point out the restrooms, please.
2 : to talk about or mention (something that one thinks is important) He was quick to point our mistake out. He pointed out the benefits/importance of daily exercise. As she likes to point out, she distrusted him from the beginning.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game