poi·ki·lit·ic | \ ¦pȯikə¦lid‧ik\
variants: or poecilitic \ ¦pēsə¦- \
Definition of poikilitic
: of, relating to, or consisting of a structural pattern in igneous rocks in which a crystal of one mineral encloses smaller unoriented grains of another mineral so that a lustrous mottling effect is produced
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game