play tophrasal verb
played to; playing to; plays to
Definition of play to
1 : to behave or perform in a particular way for (someone or something) in order to get approval or attention He didn't mean what he was saying. He was just playing to the crowd. He loves publicity and plays to the cameras every chance he gets.
2 : to make use of (something) a film that plays to stereotypes of housewives In his latest album, he once again plays to his strengths as a classical musician.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game