play itself outidiom
Definition of play itself out
1 : to take place : happen This scene plays itself out daily in every large city in this country.
2 : to stop being current or popular That style of music had played itself out and the record companies wanted something new.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game