plant/sow the seeds ofidiom
Definition of plant/sow the seeds of
1 : to cause (an idea, feeling, etc.) to be in someone's mind Opponents have succeeded in planting/sowing the seeds of suspicion/doubt in our team.
2 : to create a situation in which (something) is likely or certain to happen or develop They have planted/sowed the seeds of their own destruction.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Piano': Its Name Is Only Half the Story
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game