plant/sow the seeds ofidiom
Definition of plant/sow the seeds of
1 : to cause (an idea, feeling, etc.) to be in someone's mind Opponents have succeeded in planting/sowing the seeds of suspicion/doubt in our team.
2 : to create a situation in which (something) is likely or certain to happen or develop They have planted/sowed the seeds of their own destruction.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game