Definition of pitch class
: the set of all musical pitches of the same name regardless of octave The single pitch class that symbolizes Wozzeck's idée fixe in the murder scene is first asserted in this connection as the final note of Act II …— George Perle, The Operas of Alban Berg, 1989 —usually hyphenated when used before another noun pitch-class sets
— called also chroma
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game