variant spelling of peepul
: a large, long-lived fig tree (Ficus religiosa) with widely spreading branches that is native from India to southeastern Asia and often begins growth as an epiphyte A breeze blows through three large trees – two peepuls and a neem.— Divya Guha It is said that it was here under a peepal tree that Prince Siddhartha meditated until he attained enlightenment more than 2,500 years ago and became known as the Buddha – the awakened one.— Kencho Wangdi
— called also bo tree, bodhi tree, sacred fig
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game