variant spelling of peepul
: a large, long-lived fig tree (Ficus religiosa) with widely spreading branches that is native from India to southeastern Asia and often begins growth as an epiphyte A breeze blows through three large trees – two peepuls and a neem.— Divya Guha It is said that it was here under a peepal tree that Prince Siddhartha meditated until he attained enlightenment more than 2,500 years ago and became known as the Buddha – the awakened one.— Kencho Wangdi
— called also bo tree, bodhi tree, sacred fig
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game