pick·a·dil | \ ˈpikəˌdil\
variants: or pickadilly \ ¦⸗⸗¦dilē \
plural pickadils or pickadillies
Definition of pickadil
1 : a decorative trimming of cutwork that is scalloped, tabbed, or pointed and used as an edging on doublets, collars, and other garments of the late 16th and early 17th centuries
2 : a ruff or standing collar trimmed with cutwork
3 : a stiff support for a ruff or standing collar
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?