pick up the tab/bill/checkidiom
Definition of pick up the tab/bill/check
: to pay the money that is owed for something The company picked up the entire tab for my trip. They offered to pick up the check for dinner.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?