plural phyllopodia\ -dēə \
Definition of phyllopodium
1 : a primordial leaf or leaf axis : a leaf in the undifferentiated state — compare epipodium
2a chiefly British : the basal portion of a mature leaf which is sometimes inconspicuous or absent or modified into a sheath (as in grasses)
b : a stem or axis made up of the expanded and fused bases of leaves
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game