pro·po·de·um | \ -ēəm\
variants: or less commonly propodeon \ -ēən \
plural propodeums also propodea\ -ēə \
Definition of propodeum
: the part of the thorax of a hymenopteran that lies immediately over and partly surrounding the insertion of the petiole of the abdomen and represents a basal abdominal segment which has become fused with the thorax
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game