pha·cel·la | \ fəˈselə\
variants: or less commonly phacellus \ -ləs \
plural phacellae\ -ˌlē , -ˌlī \ also phacelli\ -ˌlī \
Definition of phacella
: one of the rows of filaments usually bearing nematocysts on the inner surface of the gastric cavity of some scyphozoan jellyfishes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game