perk upphrasal verb
perked up; perking up; perks up
Definition of perk up
1 : to become more lively or cheerful or to make (someone) more lively or cheerful We perked up when we heard the good news. The good news perked everyone up.
2 : to make (something) fresher or more appealing The new paint job really perked up the room.
3 chiefly US, of an animal's ears : to be lifted in a quick and alert way The dog's ears perked up. —often used figuratively of a person My ears perked up when I heard my name mentioned.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game