perk (up) one's earsidiom
Definition of perk (up) one's ears
informal, chiefly US, of an animal
: to lift the ears in a quick or alert way The dog heard its name and perked (up) its ears. —often used figuratively of a person I perked up my ears when I heard his name mentioned.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?