perish the thoughtidiom
Definition of perish the thought
—used to say that something will not happen or that one hopes that something will not happen What? Me help him out? Perish the thought.Who would take over as goalie if, perish the thought, he got injured?
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game