Definition of pentail
1 or less commonly pen-tailed tree shrew \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗- \ : a tree shrew (genus Ptilocercus) of Malaysia and adjacent islands that is dark brown above and white below and has a naked tail bilaterally fringed with long stiff hairs on its distal third
2 or less commonly pen-tailed phalanger : a small New Guinea phalanger (genus Distoechurus) related to the mouse opossums but distinguished by a tail fringed with long hairs
3 [ by alteration ] : pintail sense 1
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game