pel·ta | \ ˈpeltə\
plural peltae\ -ˌtē , -ˌtī \
Definition of pelta
1 : a small light shield used by the ancient Greeks and Romans
2 [ New Latin, from Latin ] : a body of unknown function found in association with the blepharoplast of a flagellate
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?